The Academic Success Center employs peer tutors to work with the professional tutors to promote and encourage student success and lifelong learning and study skills.
The Peer Tutor nominee should:
- demonstrate above average scholarship
- possess a firm understanding of the subject(s) to be tutored
- demonstrated high standards of character
- have above average communication and human relation skills
- exhibit enthusiasm for learning and personal growth
In addition to valuable work experience, the peer tutors will:
- receive training in tutoring techniques
- expand their own skills and knowledge as they help their fellow students
- work toward certification by a national tutoring association
- obtain mentoring from professional tutors
- develop teamwork skills interacting with faculty, other tutors and students
In order to become a Peer Tutor at the Academic Success Center, you must be recommended by one of your instructors. If your instructor informs you that you have been recommended, please submit a Peer Tutor job application with Human Resources.
To recommend a student to become a Peer Tutor at the Academic Success Center, please complete the Peer Tutor Recommendation Form and submit to the Academic Success Center Coordinator.