workshops covering a variety of topics are offered each term.
An overview of each workshop is provided.
Workshop Schedule, Fall Semester 2014
- 12:30 pm - 1:10 pm (Location: Academic Success Center Room D-126)
- 2:30 pm - 3:10 pm (Location: Academic Success Center Room D-126)
- 4:30 pm - 5:10 pm (Location: Academic Success Center Room D-126)
|Study SMARTER, not HARDER! (Basic Study Skills)||Tuesday, September 9, 2014|
|Test Taking Strategies Workshop||Tuesday, September 16, 2014|
|Developing a Study Schedule Workshop||Tuesday, September 23, 2014|
|Note Taking Skills Workshop||Tuesday, September 30, 2014|
|Better Reading Comprehension Workshop||Tuesday, October 7, 2014|
|Test Taking Anxiety Workshop||Tuesday, October 14, 2014|
For more information on Macon workshops, contact (478) 784-3674.
- 10:00 am - 10:40 am (Conference Room)
- 12:00 pm - 12:40 pm (Conference Room)
- 2:30 pm - 3:10 pm (Conference Room)
- 5:00 pm - 5:40 pm (Conference Room)
|Study SMARTER, not HARDER! (Basic Study Skills)||Monday, September 8, 2014|
|Test Taking Strategies Workshop||Monday, September 15, 2014|
|Developing a Study Schedule Workshop||Monday, September 22, 2014|
|Note Taking Skills Workshop||Monday, September 29, 2014|
|Better Reading Comprehension Workshop||Monday, October 6, 2014|
|Test Taking Anxiety Workshop||Monday, October 13, 2014|
For more information on Milledgeville workshops, contact (478) 445-2343 or (478) 445-2300.
updated August 21, 2014
New workshop covering the following topics and answering your questions:
- Basic computer technology
- How to log-in and move through the CGTC network system
- Most common computer programs and applications
- USB flash drive organization
Study Smarter, not Harder! In this workshop, students will learn the importance of developing effective study habits, which are extremely necessary in a college environment. Several tips will be addressed, including the following:
- Attending class helps students to retain the material.
- Taking notes provides positive results-Most of the material discussed in class is forgotten within the first 24 hours if not reviewed.
- Other topics such as critical thinking, study groups, time management, note cards, and maintaining a positive attitude are discussed.
In this workshop, students will learn various strategies to assist them in becoming successful at taking tests. Several tips will be addressed, including the following:
- Importance of arriving early, being comfortable, and confident
- Avoiding carelessness
- Reading directions carefully
- Answering questions in a strategic order
- Proofreading for spelling, grammar, and punctuation
This workshop focuses on what the student needs in order to improve their reading and memorization skills. Several additional tips will be addressed, including the following:
- Paying attention to supporting cues
- Building a good vocabulary
- Rewriting main points
- Visual Aids
Good note taking skills are important for effective time management. This workshop offers tips on the following:
- Avoiding distractions
- Communicating with the instructor
Time is always an issue. Scheduling and managing time wisely are important factors to obtaining good grades. In this workshop, the following tips are addressed:
- The Three Keys to Time Management (remembering, setting priorities, and motivation)
- "Best Time" for studying
- Conducive Surroundings
- The "Twofer Concept"
For more information contact the Academic Success Center – (478) 757-3674