The mission of Special Populations services is to provide student-centered comprehensive programs, services, and events, which promote equality, enhance the educational experience, foster success and contribute to the economic self-sufficiency of students who are members of special populations.
Services are available to students who are economically disadvantaged, special needs populations, single parents, displaced homemakers, dislocated workers, and those enrolled in non-traditional careers. Services are also available for students with limited English proficiency.
- Assist with book purchases through the Lending Library (based on availability of funds)
- Assist with classroom accommodations
- Provide career guidance and assessments
- Provide student resource guides and referral information
- Assist with identifying resources to meet student needs
Student Success Team Survey
After reviewing resources within these pages, please take a moment to complete the Student Success Team Survey. Your feedback will assist in evaluating what services are working or what needs to be improved.
Student Information Sheet
The Student Information Sheet assists in capturing the disclosed (confidential) information and the needs of new students including the online student population. If you are a part of the special populations body as outlined, please complete and return the form to determine if you may be eligible for special population services and assistance.
Myths about the Special Populations Coordination
- Give money – The members of the team cannot give students money; however, if funds are available eligible students can be assisted with the purchase of textbooks and tools for classes.
- Provide bus passes – The members do not have access to bus passes or provide alternative transportation assistance but they can assist students with identifying transportation agencies in the area (as well as fees, route times and route locations associated with the service).
- Guarantee passing grades – The team cannot guarantee any type of grade in any class but will assist students in obtaining the services they need to function in the classroom. The team will assist with classroom accommodations. They also assist students with accessing academic resources and free tutoring services.
- Daycare assistance – The team does not provide daycare assistance. We can provide you with information about daycare service resources in the area.
- Guarantee job placement – Job placement is not guaranteed but the Career Evaluators will help to prepare students for job placement by assisting them with resume preparation and interview preparation.