Things that May Affect Your Aid
Federal regulations require all institutions to confirm the accuracy of information submitted on the FAFSA. This process is called verification. The U.S. Department of Education selects applicants for the verification process. The Financial Aid Office at Central Georgia Technical College reserves the right to select additional applicants for the process of verification at its discretion. This discretionary selection may be generated due to conflicting information or due to concerns that data may not be accurate or complete.
NOTIFICATION AND COMMUNICATION
Students selected for verification must submit documentation to the CGTC Financial Aid office in order for financial aid eligibility to be determined.
Students are notified of their selection for the process as follows:
- The Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education after submission of the FAFSA.
- Central Georgia Technical College will provide written notification to the student identifying the documents required for the verification process. These notifications will be sent to the student periodically until the documents are received. The student can also check their BANNERWeb account for this information.
- As a courtesy, CGTC’s Financial Aid office may contact students by phone to encourage them to submit documents to complete the verification process.
- Signed Verification Worksheet
- Federal Tax Return Transcript *
- - Dependent student; student and parents tax transcript
- - Independent: student, and spouse if applicable.
- It may be necessary for the student to submit additional documentation in order for the verification process to be completed. The Financial Aid Office will notify the student if this additional documentation is needed.
*If you do not have a copy of your tax return transcript, you can request a tax return transcript by accessing the IRS website: https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-tra/start.do
Make sure you choose “Return Transcript”.
If the student, parent, or both used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information to the FAFSA, the tax return transcript is not required for verification; just the applicable signed verification worksheet.
DEADLINES FOR SUBMISSION OF DOCUMENTATION
Verification documents should be submitted by the document deadline as posted in the Important Dates section of the CGTC Financial Aid website. Submitting the required documents by the due date, as posted, facilitates the College’s ability to verify all information in a timely manner, ensure that financial aid packages and reconciliation of funds are accurate, and that financial aid is posted to the student’s account in a timely manner.
Failure to submit the required documentation will eliminate the disbursement of financial aid and failure to submit required documentation by the posted deadline will delay the disbursement of financial aid.
EXTINUATING TAX CIRCUMSTANCES
Tax documentation cannot be obtained – An individual who did not retain a copy of his or her tax information for the year to be verified and for whom the information cannot be located by the IRS (or other relevant taxing authority) must submit to the institution:
- Copies of all of their IRS Form W-2s, a wage and income transcript, or an equivalent document; and
- Documentation from the IRS or other relevant taxing authority that indicates the individual’s tax information for the year to be verified cannot be located; and
- A signed statement that indicates that the individual did not retain a copy of his or her tax information for the year to be verified.
Extensions - Families who file a federal tax extension must submit to the CGTC Financial Aid office a copy of IRS Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return along with a copy of all W2 forms. If self-employed, a signed statement with the amount of their AGI and U.S. taxes paid must be submitted. If documentation submitted is deemed sufficient, the verification will be processed. Financial Aid awarded to the student will be temporarily disbursed to the student and will not be finalized until the actual completed tax transcripts are submitted to the Financial Aid office as soon as the documents are available from the IRS.
Identity Theft - Individuals who are victims of IRS tax-related identity theft must submit to the institution:
- A Tax Return DataBase View (TRDBV) transcript obtained from the IRS; AND
- A statement signed an dated by the ta filer indicating that they were victims of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made award of the tax-related identity theft.
Tax filers may obtain a TRDBV transcript and inform the IRS of the tax-related identity theft by calling the IRS’s Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) at 1-800-908-4490. The IPSU will first authenticate the identity of the tax filer, who can then ask the IRS to mail them a TRDBV transcript. The TRDBV transcript will look different than a regular IRS tax return transcript, but it is official and can be used for verification. Tax filers who cannot obtain a TRDBV transcript may instead submit another official IRS transcript or equivalent document provided by the IRS if it includes all of the income and tax information required to be verified.
Tax filers who file an amended return – Individuals who filed an amended tax return must submit the following documents to the institution:
- A copy of the original income tax return that was filed with the IRS for the tax year required to be verified; and
- A transcript obtained from the IRS that lists tax account information of the tax filer for the tax year required to be verified; and
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.
VERIFICATION SUBMISSION/AWARD CHANGE/NOTIFICATION TO STUDENT
Financial aid cannot be disbursed to a student’s account if the student is selected for verification and the verification process is not complete. In the event financial aid funds have already been disbursed to the student’s account and the student has been subsequently selected for verification, further disbursements will be delayed until required documents are submitted and the verification process is completed.
Changes in the student's eligibility and aid awarded may occur if any discrepancies are found between the initial FAFSA and verification documents. If a change in a student’s eligibility does occur due to verification, the student will be notified by the receipt a new Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Department of Education. The College will also send the student a revised Award Letter notifying the student of the award change. The student can also access their BANNERWeb account to see these changes.
Verification Document Links
Each verification group below is different based on verification items chosen by the Department of Education for individual students. Please make sure you are choosing the correct worksheet by referring to your Need Requirements Letter you received, your BannerWeb Account or by contacting the Financial Aid office.
2016 – 2017
2017 – 2018
|Dependent Students||Independent Students|
|Tracking Group V1 – Standard||Tracking Group V1 – Standard|
|Tracking Group V4 – Custom||Tracking Group V4 – Custom|
|Tracking Group V5 – Aggregate||Tracking Group V5 – Aggregate|