Disability Services

Americans with Disabilities Act Grievance Procedures

Students who have a complaint about accommodations provided by Central Georgia Technical College must attempt to resolve conflicts by contacting the Special Populations Disability Services Coordinator.

If the results of this process are unsatisfactory to the student, he or she must contact the Vice President of Student Affairs. The Vice President will investigate the complaint and make reasonable efforts to resolve the matter. The investigation shall be informal but thorough, affording all persons an opportunity to submit evidence or other relevant information.

If the complainant is not satisfied with the decision of the Vice President of Student Affairs, he/she can contact the President of the College.

The President shall provide a written or verbal final response to the student.

Use of this grievance procedure does not limit a student’s pursuit of other remedies, including the right to pursue a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights.


A consolidated area for orientation for future and current students including enrollment, registration, academic, and technology resources.

Disability Services

Contact Information

Sabrina Coneway
Coordinator, Disability Services, North (Bibb, Baldwin, Jones, Monroe, and Putnam Counties)
Phone: (478) 757-3676
Fax: (478) 757-6619

Donna Dutcher
Coordinator, Disability Services, South (Houston, Crawford, Dooly, Peach, Pulaski, and Twiggs Counties)
Phone: (478) 218-3229
Fax: (478) 988-6947