Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States
Effective January 1, 2012, all students applying for in-state tuition must provide validation of lawful presence in the United States. The following documents will serve as proof of lawful presence in the United States and documentation will be required before you are eligible for consideration of in-state tuition:
- A current Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current Driver's License or ID issued by a state that verifies immigration status and only issues to persons lawfully present in the United States.
The Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG) will accept the following:
- Alabama: Issued after August 1, 2000
- Florida: Issued after January 1, 2010
- South Carolina: Issued after November 1, 2008
- Tennessee: Issued after May 29, 2004.
- A certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- An approved completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year.
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form 1-151 or 1-551).
- A current, valid military identification card for active duty soldiers or veterans.
- A U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- A U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
Any student who cannot be verified as lawfully present in the United States is not eligible to be considered for in-state tuition, regardless of how long he or she has lived in Georgia. In addition to being lawfully present in the United States, students must meet the in-state tuition requirements as outlined in TCSG Board Policy and Procedure V.B.3 to warrant an in-state classification. Students that are initially classified as out-of-state and successfully petition to have their residency changed to in-state also have to meet the verification requirement.
updated October 5, 2015