The Technical College System of Georgia and CGTC believe it is extremely important to identify, evaluate, and encourage good work habits as an integral part of the instructional program. Therefore, a system to evaluate “work ethics” in each occupational credit course has been developed. Work ethics grades (3,2,1,0) are earned in each completed credit hour course and are included on the student's permanent record and transcript. A list of work ethics characteristics is detailed below and includes:
- Attendance: Attends class; arrives/leaves on time; notifies instructor in advance of planned absences. (For online courses: completes assignments on time; notifies instructor of planned absences.)
- Character: Displays loyalty, honesty, trustworthiness, dependability, reliability, initiative, self-discipline, and self-responsibility.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with others toward a common goal in a respectful and cooperative manner; participates appropriately as a team member.
- Appearance: Displays appropriate dress, grooming, hygiene, and etiquette. (For online: Follows netiquette rules; respectful of others in written and oral communication.)
- Cooperation: Handles criticism, conflicts and complaints appropriately; works well with others.
- Productivity: Completes tasks assigned efficiently, effectively, and timely; demonstrates problem-solving capabilities.
- Organization: Prioritizes and manages time and resources effectively; demonstrates flexibility in handling change; follows directions and procedures for the work environment.
- Communication: Displays appropriate nonverbal (eye contact, body language) written, and oral (listening, telephone etiquette, grammar) skills.
- Attitude: Demonstrates a positive outlook; demonstrates mannerly behavior; follows chain of command.
- Respect: Tolerates other points of view; acknowledges and appreciates rights of others; has regard for diversity.
Explanation Of Work Ethics Grades
- 3= Exceeds Expectations: Work Ethics performance is exemplary. Student has consistently demonstrated characteristics that will stand out in the work environment
- 2=Meets Expectations: All work ethics standards are met. The quality of student’s work ethics performance is that of a good employee in the normal work environment.
- 1=Needs Improvement: Some standards were not met. Additional training in employability skills is recommended.
- 0=Unacceptable: Work ethics performance was below average. Additional training in employability skills is a must if the student is to survive in the work environment.