How to Apply


Avoid delays in the processing of your financial aid. Complete the FAFSA to apply for all possible aid. The FAFSA is year specific; make sure you are entering the correct information for the appropriate year.

If you are a current/returning student or a new student and will be attending CGTC for Fall Semester 2017, Spring Semester 2018, or Summer Semester 2018, you will need to complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA using your 2015 income tax report. 

All students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after January 1st of each year in order for consideration of eligibility for any type of federal student aid for the upcoming award year. The student’s eligibility for federal student aid is based on the information submitted on the FAFSA 1) by an Independent student: the student only (unmarried) or student and spouse (married) or 2) by a dependent student: the student and parent. Before completing the FAFSA, the student/and parent, if applicable need to request a Federal PIN number in order to electronically sign the FAFSA to ensure prompt processing of the application.

When completing the FAFSA, the student will need to include the school code of the institution of which they plan to attend.

School Code for CGTC: 005763


What do I need to complete my FAFSA?

In order to complete you FAFSA you will need the following items:

  • Social Security Number(s)
  • Driver License
  • Record of income earned for the appropriate year (for example, if you are a current/returning student or a new student and will be attending CGTC Fall Semester 2017, you will need to complete the 2017-2018 FAFSA using your 2015 income tax report). (Spouse’s income is needed if married; Parent’s if you are dependent)
  • Record of any untaxed income
  • Current business/interest/investment/farm/bond/mortgage information

To simplify the FAFSA process, you may want to select yes when asked if you want to download your tax information directly from the tax return submitted to the IRS. Spouse or parents can do the same. Use your FSA ID for this process.

Once the FAFSA has been submitted, the student will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) that provides the information that was submitted on the FAFSA. The student needs to review the SAR for accuracy and make any corrections if necessary.

Aid will not be awarded to students unless a valid financial aid application is received. Students will be notified by postal mail, email or phone calls in the event that the application is incomplete or other documents are required to process aid. Aid will not be disbursed to students unless all required documents are received and financial aid processes are complete. Students may need to submit documentation for a process called verification.